Apostille Service

What is an apostille?
An apostille is an internationally recognized certificate validating the signature and seal of a public official in the issuing country.  Documents issued in one country and intended for use in another country often require authentication with an Apostille certificate in order to be recognized as legitimate in foreign countries.  If your document is intended for use in a country participating in the Hague Legalization Convention ( aka the "Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents"), you will need to obtain an Apostille certificate in Colorado.  

General Colorado Apostille information:
  • Prior to submission, your document must be properly notarized OR certified by the county or the Vital Records Office of Colorado.
  • A Colorado notary public SHOULD NOT notarize documents issued and certified by a Colorado Public Official.
  • Colorado marriage license, divorce decree, or other court documents can be obtained from the county in which it was issued.
  • Original certified copies of birth or death certificates can be obtained from the Vital Records Office of Colorado [303.692.2200  OR  303.436.7351]. 

What documents can be authenticated by an apostille?
Generally, any type of notarized or certified public document can be authenticated by an apostille including  adoption documents, affidavits, articles of incorporation, bills of sale, commercial contracts and agreements, court judgments, deeds of trust, diplomas, identity documentation, letters of intent, oaths and power of attorney.

Are there documents that cannot be authenticated with an apostille?
The Hague Legalization Convention does not apply to documents requiring execution by consular or diplomatic agents nor is it applicable to administrative documents directly relating to customs or commercial operations (such as certificates of origin or import/export licenses).

Documentation for countries not participating in Hague Legalization Convention requires a different process called an Embassy or Consular Legalization (also called "Chain Authentication"), with which Superior Notary Service cannot provide assistance.